Tamar’s works as a painter, printmaker, theater set designer and set painter consistently investigate the use of layering to create and enhance the illusion of three-dimensional space. Her sculptures and installations map the layering of ecosystems and the interface between industrial society and biodiversity.
Tamar’s enduring interest in botany stems from her childhood years in California and ensuing studies toward her degree in landscape architecture. Her current involvement in Gelatin Plate Printmaking is fueled by the medium’s unique sensitivity to plant material and its ability to produce detailed, multi-layered, luminous imagery.
Tamar has exhibited sculpture, installations, paintings and prints in universities, galleries and museums on both U.S. coasts and in the state of New Mexico. She is a Master of Fine Arts (Vermont College of Fine Arts) and a Bachelor of Landscape Architecture (University of California Berkeley).
Her Public Art commissions include:
- Monotypes: a series of twelve, “The Aesthetics of Science,” purchased by the Microbiology Department of the University of Maine Orono
- Architectural Metalwork: installed in Maranacook Middle School, Readfield, Maine.
- Sculpture: purchased by Colby College, Waterville, Maine.
Tamar has taught printmaking classes, workshops and teaching residencies at Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum. Boston Museum of Fine Arts, Curry College, and University of Maine’s Farmington and Orono campuses.
Email Tamar at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selected Solo Shows
- 2010: BROOKLINE CENTER FOR THE ARTS, Brookline, MA: Monotype prints
- 2000: LINDHURST GALLERY, USC SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE, Los Angeles, CA: Sculpture installation, “Memorial to the Natural World”
- 1999: HAMPSHIRE COLLEGE GALLERY, Amherst, MA: Sculpture Installation, “Message from Planet X”
Selected Collaborations and Group Shows
- 2013: NORTH AMERICAN PRINT BIENNIAL, Boston University, Boston, MA
- 2013: THE OTHER F WORD : THE FUTURE OF FEMINISM, Bunker Hill Community College Gallery, Boston, MA
- 2013: RETHINK INK MIXIT STUDIO PORTFOLIO, Boston Public Library Print Department, College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, MA
- 2013: CAMBRIDGE OPEN STUDIOS INVITATIONAL, Logan Airport, Boston, MA
- 2009: ENDLESS POSSIBILITIES: THE UNIQUE PRINT, Monoprint LynnArts, Inc., Lynn, MA
- 2009: WOMEN IN PRINT, Bunker Hill Community College Art Gallery, Boston, MA
- 2009: IMPRESSIONS PRINTMAKING, New Hampshire Institute of Art, Manchester, NH
- 2009: POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE, New York, NY
- 2009: ZULLO GALLERY ANNUAL JURIED SHOW, Zullo Gallery, Medfield, MA
- 2008: PIANO FACTORY MEMBERS SHOW, Piano Factory Gallery, Boston, MA
- 2008: DREAMS AND NIGHTMARES, The Bench Gallery, Damariscotta, ME
- 2007: VENICE PRINTMAKING (residency), Venice, Italy
- 2006: UP FRONT, Cambridge Arts Council, Cambridge, MA
- 2005: WAR FLOWERS, University of Southern Maine, Portland, ME
- 2005: [e]VENT: A DRAWING PROJECT IN RESPONSE TO THE PATRIOT ACT, Gallery 535, Boston, MA
- 2004: AT ISSUE: PRINTS AND SOCIAL COMMENTARY, Wheaton College, Norton, MA
- 2004: NEW ENGLAND/NEW TALENT: FITCHBURG BIENNIAL, Fitchburg Art Museum, Fitchburg, MA